This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy.
  • You are in TOURIST LOCATIONS / TOURIST LOCATIONS
  • Bargi

    (TOURIST LOCATIONS a Camugnano)

    Contact: Municipio di Camugnano 0534 45014
    Piazza J. f. Kennedy, 1 (Municipio) 40032 Camugnano BO
    Tel. 0534 45014 (Municipio) Fax 0534 46827 (Municipio)
    segret.camugnano@cosea.bo.it   http://www.altoreno.it/camugnano  
    Getting here: Bargi is located on the main road Provinciale 40 and is about 12km from Camugnano.


    Bargi is 12Km from Camugnano and has an important tradition for metalworking and arms' fabrication.
    Bargi is a small village which belongs to the municipality of Camugnano.
    In ancient times, this village was renown for metalworking (iron and bronze) and for the fabrication of arms; indeed, Bargi has a rich medieval history which has shaped the structure of the village and its trades and crafts.
    For a long time Bologna and Pistoia contended for Bargi's stronghold, but in the early XIV century the Panico Counts conquered it and established the castle as their shelter while sacking and raiding the Apennines; this led to Bargi's complete destruction, carried out in 1451 by the Bolognese.
    Nor far from Bargi and near the Suviana's lake there is a tiny village named Pianacci; this is the birth place of the Acquafresca family, well-renown metalworkers and armourers. Sebastiano Acquafresca was born here in 1619 and started the family's tradition. His son Matteo went on to become famous for his arquebuses, some of which are now displayed in museums in Turin, Florence and Birmingham; Matteo is also the author of an extremely refined snuffbox which belongs to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
    The small village of Cà dei Melati is the home town of the Comelli family, though they were originally from Castel di Casio; the Comelli were refined craftsmen specialized in clocks (for towers), metal and wood works. Francesco Comelli became so renown that in 1780 the senate of Bologna asked him to work in the city.
    There are several historical buildings in the area, amongst which the church of Bargi (end of XVII century), with a beautiful Baroque organ, and a mid-XVIII century bridge which has seats, along its edges, designed for wayfarers carrying panniers on their backs.


  • Information by Redazione dell'Appennino Bolognese
    Last update: 28/01/15     (NewsID: 5487)
more suggestions