This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy.
  • You are in Castiglione dei Pepoli / TOURIST LOCATIONS / TOURIST LOCATIONS
  • Castiglione dei Pepoli

    (TOURIST LOCATIONS a Castiglione dei Pepoli)

    Contact: Urp Tel. 0534/801638-639
    Piazza Marconi, 1 40035 Castiglione dei Pepoli BO
    Tel. 0534 801611 Fax 0534 801700
    urp4@comune.castiglionedeipepoli.bo.it   http://www.comune.castiglionedeipepoli.bo.it  
    Getting here: Castiglione dei Pepoli is 57km from Bologna; take the highway A1 and exit at Pian del Voglio or Roncobilaccio. Main roads leading to Castiglione: S.S.64 (Porrettana) and 325 Valle di Setta and Bisenzio. Railway station in San Benedetto Val di Sambro.

    Castiglione dei Pepoli is home to the villa of the Pepoli family, as the place name suggests.
    The Palazzo Pepoli was originally designed in 1473 and later widened during the XVIII century with the building of the so called 'Palazzina'; it is a massive building which has undergone several restoration works. Inside there are frescos painted by Carlo Antonio Ratti and XVIII century paintings by Pietro Ognibene; the main doorway has been decorated by Torreggiani. In the past, the palace has been the head quarters of the governor and of the court of justice; it has also been the house of the commissary and the house of the Pepoli family. Today it houses the town hall.
    The town has several historical buildings, together with the palace. The church dedicated to San Lorenzo lies at the centre of the town; it was built in 1576 as the oratory of the religious company 'Compagnia della Misericordia', it was then partly rebuilt in the XIX century and it houses some valuable paintings, such as the 'Madonna with child and saints' and 'The mysteries of the Rosary' (both early XVII century), and an XVIII century 'Madonna and San Lorenzo'.
    The church dedicated to the 'Madonna della Consolazione' has very old origins (XI century), but was rebuilt in 1650 in Renaissance Tuscan style.
    Canova is a small XVII century village near Castiglione dei Pepoli and it has a very nice oratory dedicated to San Giusto and a rural building worthy of mention. Also interesting is the oratory in the village of Linari, which was built in 1641, and the XVIII century oratory in Rasora, which was widened in the following century with a bell tower and a small sacristy. 


  • Information by Redazione dell'Appennino Bolognese
    Last update: 01/02/15     (NewsID: 5000031)
more suggestions