This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy.
  • You are in Granaglione / DISCOVER THE AREA / ART AND CULTURE / abbeys, monasteries, sanctuaries
  • Sanctuary of the Madonna di Calvigi

    (abbeys, monasteries, sanctuaries a Granaglione)

    Contact: Don Massimo
    localit? Calvigi 40030 Granaglione, Municipality of Alto Reno Terme BO
    Tel. 0534 62164 Fax 0534 62164
    Getting here: The sanctuary is in Granaglione. Drive along the main road SS 64 "Porrettana" to Porretta Terme, then take the road for Granaglione and look out for the sign for Calvigi. 
    Weekday open hours: Holy mass at 18.00 on Saturday in July and August
    Holiday open hours: Holy mass at 11.00am and at 18.00
    Opening days: In May on Sunday only; in July and August every day

    The sanctuary lies on a rocky mountain which overlooks the valley of the river Reno.
    The sanctuary lies on a rocky mountain which overlooks the valley of the river Reno. The architecture of the church is modern because it was mainly rebuilt in neoclassical style during the beginning of the XX century, using local plastered stone. Rather than for the architecture, the sanctuary is interesting for its religious history, which dates back to the early part of the XVI century. The icon of the Madonna di Calvigi originated as an ex voto by Don Simone Vivarelli, who had it painted by a local artist to thank the Madonna for having saved the village when a rock collapsed; the Madonna was painted on the rock that had crashed. Popular devotion for the icon started and it was strengthened with the plague in 1630, when the inhabitants of Granaglione built the sanctuary to thank the Madonna for having saved their lives. In the XVII century the sanctuary was very popular amongst pilgrims thanks to the miracles that had occurred in area. In fact, in 1635 the building was widened; there is date on the façade that testifies this. The bell tower was built in 1825 and three bells were subsequently added to it. The Madonna icon that is currently displayed is a ceramic from Faenza made in 1954. In total, the sanctuary has three icons: the first one is the original early XVI century fresco commissioned by Don Simone Vivarelli; the support of the fresco (today in very poor conditions) is rock and this has caused various conservation issues over the years, so there is also a copy on canvas which was painted in 1920.

  • Other info:
    • Granaglione

  • Information by Redazione dell'Appennino Bolognese
    Last update: 20/11/18     (NewsID: 5306)
more suggestions